Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Fun Rainbow Cake


I got this idea from Jon's cousin's wife who in return got it from this blog (don't you love how a good idea can travel?). On Sunday Jon had to go into work and my mother-in-law was watching my cute nephew and brought him over to my house to play. I had already decided to make this cake and it made it even more fun teaching my nephew how to lick cake batter off the beater (which he didn't like doing - he did end up licking the bowl for me).

Cassie is really wanting to know how to cook and so we made a white cake mix cake and she separated the yolks for me and did all the measuring. She also was allowed to use the hand mixer all by herself including putting in the beaters. She is getting to be so independent.

Next we divided the batter into several different bowls and added some gel food coloring. This is where Jeremy and Evan came to help us stir the color into the batter. We made purple, green, yellow, pink and orange batter.

You dump the batter into the cake pans on top of each other in the center and wait while it slowly creeps to the center and then you bake it.

As a side note . . . during this process Jeremy found a clear plastic wrapper from a Capri Sun straw and balled it up and stuck it up his nose. He kind of freaked out when it got stuck there and tried to use his finger to get it out and managed to push it up further. I should have taken pictures of him during this process, but I totally forgot. We made several attempts to extract it and after a call to the pediatrician we ended up going to Urgent Care to get it out between taking the cake out of the oven and frosting it. Ironically the cousin we got the rainbow cake idea from also balled up a gum wrapper when he was a kid and got it stuck up his nose. I wonder if there is a connection? Hmmm . . .


Cassie (who would NEVER put a straw wrapper in her nose) made some yummy butter icing from scratch and frosted the cake. We thought it would be fun to do plain white for the frosting and get a surprise when we cut into it. The top layer was done well as far as putting the colored batter into the center and letting it even out on it's own. The bottom one, however, was a less care driven and I can now see the results.

It was a really fun project and now she wants to try making a zebra cake with dark chocolate and white cake. I'm so glad that she wants to learn how to cook. I'm hoping that she continues learning and that we can do lots of fun projects like this again.

4 comments:

  1. oh, great job!! I tried a zebra cake not so long ago, but I tried to make 20 circles or something like that - it did most definitely NOT work out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh I love it!!! Ha, there must be some connection. Glad everything turned out alright with Jeremy. i'm glad you made the cake. I still need to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca, I love your blog! I'm a little afraid to make the cake now that I know the nose history that goes along with it though. David, when he was ..... 10? Put a coin up his nostril. When I was screaming at him to ask "Why would a 10 year old do that?" He calmly responded "But mom, it wanted to be in my nose." So innocently, like, of course you've gotta do what a COIN wants you to do. Fortunately, I got it out. Sorry you had to go to urgent care.

    The cake turned out lovely, I'm very impressed with Cassie's skills.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the cake, just want a piece...do not want to attempt to make it :) Poor little nose

    ReplyDelete