Friday, January 30, 2009

It followed me home . . .

can we keep it?My mom was out walking her dog on Sunday night and this little doggie started walking with them. He was wearing a leash and a collar, but with no tags. He was tired, dirty, hungry, thirsty and infested with fleas. My mom couldn't leave him with her dog so she brought him to my house. We fed him and made him a cozy little bed in the laundry room. We've found other lost doggies and helped reunite them with their "people" before so I figured he would be the same.
Monday morning I brought him to a local vet and had him scanned to see if he had a microchip. Yeah!!! He did!!! Now all they had to do was call the microchip company and they could give us the owner's phone number.
Unfortunately whoever the owner's were never registered the microchip so we had no way of contacting them.
However, the microchip company did have the date of birth for the doggie (April of 2003) and the name of the pet shop that he was sold at.
Unfortunately the pet store is no longer in business . . . another dead end.
However, at least we had the microchip number and I could call around and find his vet and they could contact his owner.
Unfortunately there is a bazillion vets around here and not one of them has treated this dog.
I didn't exactly want a flea infested dog in my house so my friend Kathy (who has dogs) offered to help me give him a flea bath.
He was so good for his bath and then we gave him a dose of Advantage to keep the fleas from coming back.

We made bright orange "Found Dog" signs and put them up around the neighborhoods around us. I've taken him around to the local groomers to see if someone recognizes him. I've taken him on walks in the area and asked EVERY person we meet if they know him. I've put an add in Long Beach Report.org. I've gone to the pound to see if someone reported a lost Pekingese and put him in the book as found. If I didn't know better I'd say that he dropped out of heaven and landed here. I even paid to have him professionally bathed at a groomer so he can hang out in the house with us.


He is the sweetest dog.

BUT HE'S NOT MINE!!!!!


yet


9 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure Cupid brought you a little someone to love! What an adorable little doggie! It sounds like you've covered all the bases to try to find the owners. If you don't hear soon, I vote you begin the adoption process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm, yeah, I think unless the kids start wheezing you have a dog now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would keeping walking the dog around your neighborhood, he may not be far from home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But he's so very cute - and way better off with you than his previous owners, as it sounds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's so cute, and now you know when to celebrate his birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does puppy dog have a name yet?

    -Summer

    ReplyDelete
  7. So far we are calling him "Genghis Kahn the Warlord Dog" or "Genghis" for short. It seems appropriate for a little Chinese Pekingese "Fire Dragon" dog found on Chinese New Year. I wanted to call him "Cookie" because he's one Fortunate Cookie that we found him, but Jon said that he needed a more manly name. It doesn't get more manly that a ancient Mongolian Warlord.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He really is such a sweet dog. And he's beautiful... or is it handsome?

    let's sew soon!!! I can't wait. sew and walk, walk and sew! This week is a bit out of hand, but next week looks free for me. How about you?

    ReplyDelete
  9. So this is the cute dog you were telling me about. It does sounds like he's yours if you still haven't heard anything from anyone about him!

    ReplyDelete