
When Eliza was born she had teeny, tiny, sliver big toe nails. I thought Gee I wish they grow wider so we can paint them and have pedicures together. Sure enough I got my wish and my daughters once skinny toenails are now big and wide. The only problem with this is that she now has a baby ingrown toenail. I know from personal experience how painful they can be and now my baby's ingrown toenail is infected. Poor little girl. When I talked to the pediatric nurse she said that I should soak it in warm salt water, but beyond that they couldn't offer more than antibiotics if it became more infected. I took these pictures of her toes (my camera doesn't like to take pictures close up very much) and emailed them to Jon's cousin in Washington who is a podiatrist. He told us to take her into a podiatrist. I've always wanted them to live closer to us and now I wish he was here to take care of this. Now I've got to take her in - hopefully the podiatrist will be able to help it by doing something besides cutting it down. The one I'm taking her to is kind of conservative and I doubt he likes to hurt 2 month old babies.
Quick update on 8-15: We went to the podiatrist and he cut away some of the infected hard skin around her ingrown toenail. He said that we can most likely fix it with some Neosporin and rubbing the skin on the toe away from her nail -- giving the toenail somewhere to go. He also gave me something that is the equivalent to "Super Epsom Salt" to dissolve in water to soak a piece of gauze in and wrap her little piggy in. This is sooooo much easier than the Ziploc bag of water method that I came up with to soak her toes. Keep your fingers crossed that it will work -- if it doesn't we're back to the cut down method.
Someday I will empathize with her. I have horrible toenails.
ReplyDelete