Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Roberts Reunion



Saturday we went to a family reunion for my dad's side of the family. I'm not joking when I say that I haven't seen these people in 10 years or more (and then it was for a funeral). We all live here in Southern California but just never get together. My dad's cousin, Royanne, had everyone go out to her place in Lucerne Valley. For those of you who aren't familiar with Southern California geography it's about a 45 minute drive in the desert from the middle of nowhere. It was 100 degrees out so all the kids went into the pool. I knew that Eliza couldn't go in so I didn't bring my swimsuit - BIG mistake. They have a lovely pool and it looked super inviting. She's got sweeping views from her house of mountains and desert floor - I must say that I was truly impressed.

The first picture is the big "group shot" of everyone. The second is my dad with all his cousins and his one living aunt.


I got to see my second cousin, April, who I dearly love. We were pretty close growing up and in high school, but for some reason stopped keeping in touch as adults. I plan on doing a much better job on keeping in contact from now on. She lived in Big Bear when we were kids and now only lives about 30 minutes from my house. YEAH!!!!

This is a picture of April with my little Jeremy. He loved playing with her in the pool. I think she became his new favorite person after this.


It's funny how getting together with family brings out the genetic investigator in all of us. I saw curly brown hair just like mine, golden brown eyes just like mine, but the major discovery came when I found out where Jeremy's Extremely narrow palette came from. We had no idea where this incredibly expensive orthodontic attribute came from until Saturday. My dear second cousin April, who I still love dearly, smiled at me with the exact same teeth as my son! Sorry about adding those genes to the mix, Jon! Gotta love genetics - they are so much fun. If you click on the picture above of Jeremy and April you can see what I mean. Cassie kept hearing how much she looks like I did as a kid and the family swears that Eliza looks like me too. Other than his teeth and palette (which start orthodontic work in 6 months when he's only 5 1/2) Jeremy did not appear to resemble anybody from my dad's side. I think he's a mixture of my mom and Jon - a Hibbison - Kline hybrid.



We had a great time and I hope that we don't wait another 10 years before we get together again.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, how fun! There really are loads of you that look alike, you can definitely see the resemblance! And your parents look great, tell them hi for me! :)

    ReplyDelete